So how did I lose it in the first place? Well I didn’t really, just not had good access to it. The default player in Ubuntu, Rhythmbox, was giving me problems, it was pretty slow and lacked a few nice features like random playlists. (It does do semi-random play-lists, where you enter keywords, but not truely random as far as I could tell).
So I did a google, and read a few recommendations for Amarok, which I gave a go. So far so good, I am quite impressed. It has some really nice features which help get the most out of your music, and supposedly keeps track of the files and statistics even as you move them around. My next step is to organise things, moving the music off of my old Windows partition onto the new hard disk, we’ll see how I get on.